The Distinguished Clinician in Teacher Education award has been established to honor teachers and teacher educators who work in a clinical environment (e.g., school setting). This award carries a plaque. GATE will pay the conference registration and a year of annual membership.
- Is a member of ATE and GATE State Affiliate (three-year minimum) or
- Service to ATE and GATE State Affiliate or
- Is nominated by GATE member
- Functions in dual roles of classroom teacher and mentor of other teachers; is a school district employee whose primary role is staff development/in-service teacher education; or is a teacher educator serving in a supervisory role in a school setting.
- Demonstrates roles as a clinician through the following:
- Assists teachers in applying the content of the pedagogy of effective teaching
- Emphasizes reflective teaching and self analysis
- Employs exemplary coaching /conference techniques
- Demonstrates other outstanding supervisory traits
Nomination Packet Must Include:
- Cover page to include nominee’s name, telephone number and e-mail address, name and address of employing school, job title with description of position and explanation of duties, dates of employment; name and contact information of person nominating and his/her position in State Affiliate if applicable.
- Professional resume of nominee which includes a chronological listing of educational experiences, previous positions, and professional activities. The resume highlights the evidence supporting distinguished service that is discussed in nomination letters (e.g., award certificates, other commendations, presentations, program materials developed) and that addresses the award criteria.
- Letters from supervisors, peers, students, and professional colleagues to support nomination (no more than three).
Self-nominations are not accepted.
Deadline for receipt of nominations: June 15 of each year.
Email all nominations to:
Dr. Jacquelyn L Mesco, Chair
School of Education
Dalton State College
2018: not awarded
2017: Stephanie Burnham, Dewar Elementary School, Lowndes County
2016: Ellen Flynn, South Jackson Elementary School, Jackson County
2015: Jan S. Witherington, Bethlehem Elementary School
2014: not awarded
2013: not awarded
2012: Rachel Wilkinson Parr, Kings Bridge Road Middle School
2010: Joseph Lamar Revenell, Barnett Shoals Elementary School
2009: not awarded
2008: Cassandra Matthews, Nesbit Elementary School
2007: Heather Bilton, Savannah-Chatham County School System
2006: not awarded
2005: Maggie Paon, Mountain View Elementary School